Tuesday 14 August 2018

ME


ME


Lying abed
hour after hour
Quotidian longueur
Year follows year
inexorably
A prisoner
trapped in the bed
hidden by the blind
out of sight
outside
I want to be out there
living Life
not feeling ennui
or intermittent despair

Twenty birthdays past
when I was free
to simply be
and I danced then
cutting through
floating on
the air
I lived fully
in my body
running
leaping
flying
swimming
singing
joking
laughing
dancing
experiencing
intense Love
kissing
caressing
developing
affinities
my soul

This body keeps me here now
the flesh that struggles to struggle
no longer able to snuggle
in a lover’s embrace
nor for that matter
in a friend’s hug
This same body that’s killing me
slowly
but oh
 so painfully
Weary spirituality
Hope fades
colour drains
into multiple grey-shades
Insufficient energy
to risk mourning
promises of love
No sensuality
No plans
No Future
No happy-ever-after
Readying pain by pain
for an unsolicited here-after
Longing for much more
to be free
of anomie
of constant yearning
of constant envy
to be pain-free again
to awaken a too long-dormant heart
to experience intimacy
to sleep normally
to once again
read a novel cover to cover
entertain friends to a multi-course dinner
play adult games in bed
spontaneously
to be just the older
perhaps wiser
Me


No comments:

Post a Comment