Monday 7 April 2014

My Sporting Heroes


Queers used to be viewed as just effeminate menfolk who had no interest whatsoever in sport. To a certain degree there is some truth to this: a lot of gay/bi men hate sports of any kind, often due to bad experiences in their school years. However, sites such as Outsports quite clearly demonstrate that there is much interest in sport amongst gay/bisexual men and lesbians/bisexual wimmin.

I went to a rugby (union) playing school, hence this list includes more rugger-buggers than participants in other sports. I hated playing the sport, but I loved watching my form (class) play against the other teams. Two of my school peers appear on this list (S).

Additionally, I am rather proud of some of my family members, so they have been added too (F).

I have only highlighted (Q) those men who are actually out of the closet: this statement does not mean to imply that others on the list are any specific sexuality and no such allusions should be inferred.

* Indicates met/seen in the firm but pliant flesh.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering: Paul Scholes scores my goals! ;)


American Football


Athletics


Australian Rules Football


Baseball


Basketball


Cricket

*Andrew ‘Freddie’ Flintoff


[Image courtesy of Wikipedia; © Blnguyen]


Diving


Gymnastics

Olga Valentinovna Korbut


[Image courtesy of Wikipedia]


Ice-Skating


Lacrosse


Rugby League/Football


Rugby Union/Football

*Olly Barkley


[Image courtesy of Wikipedia; © PierreSelim]



Soccer/Football

Paul Scholes


[Image courtesy of Wikipedia; © James Adams]



Swimming


Tennis


Yoga



No comments:

Post a Comment