Monday 28 November 2016

The Language of Disability


The language used around disability is complex and can be nightmarish to traverse without causing someone offence. So stay chilled and just apologise if someone takes umbrage, without getting into justifications &/or arguments. That's my personal advice anyway.

I personally have no problem with calling myself crippled - by disease & by pain - or handicapped - in the context of "by society". I do not mind calling my impairments, disabilities. And when tweeting I often use - hear the overly-PC-brigade tusk - "disabled" rather than "disabled people" because I can use those six characters more usefully. I also regularly use the term disablies in an attempt to humanise us.

[Image description: the author in his wheelchair]

The name of my personal blog is Crippled, Queer, Anglo-European Ranter and hence my nom de plume, Criquaer.

The following article from The Guardian newspaper authored by professional comedienne Penny Pepper is well worth a reading.


We’ve had all the insults. Now we’re reclaiming the language of disability

 

No comments:

Post a Comment