Tuesday 2 August 2016

Ads Are Killing Tumblr


[Image description: screen-shot of my tumblr home-feed]


I have no objection to adverts per se, but the bl**dy things are now appearing in the side-bars as well as on one’s home page as well as the all-flashing, all-dancing really irritating ones there. The only way to avoid moving, as opposed to static, adverts now is to go directly to archives. However, tumblr has begun to block access to archives, there are a couple I can no longer access e.g. jofelem and ruppe.

                                     *

I wrote to tumblr prior to the most recent changes:

“colinrhunter
Jun 7, 8:57 PM EDT
I would like to give some feed-back on your advertising strategy. I have no issue with you placing ads in my tumblr-feed. However, if you are going to do so I would appreciate being able to advise you when it is inappropriate. I do not frequent the cinema, so telling me about films (which you do every few images) is irrelevant. Nor do I watch much television - hence my being on tumblr and other social media. Whilst some chaps do now wear make-up, I am in my fifties and have only donned make-up for am-dram performances and costume parties. So ads for make-up products are irrelevant. Why not ask folk what type of ads they would actually like? I suspect most reasonable folk accept the need for advertising on "gratis” social media platforms and therefore would be content to provide you with info that might assist you in better targetting adverts. Personally I should like ads on latest book releases or Art events in my locality or at the very least my country (not the USA). I should also appreciate ads on eateries, musea, community events, theatre, queer (not straight) dating, political meetings, public lectures, and so on. If you need to sell me products then know that I consume organic & up-market (high-end?) foodstuffs and I like a good bottle of wine with my evening meal. At the moment, all the advertising posted on my tumblr is irrelevant. The ad brush is too broad. You need to use a fine brush to better target specific markets. At the moment your ads are intrusive and annoying mainly due to their irrelevance. Colin-Roy Hunter"

                                     *

More than a week later I did receive the courtesy of a response, though as one can infer for themselves rather patronising and it failed to really reply:

“ Dave S (tumblr)
Jun 16, 12:22 PM EDT Hello,
Thanks for contacting us and giving us your thoughts on these ads. We want to make sure your experience here is the best it can be, while also making sure that we have the resources to keep Tumblr around for a long, long time. Rest assured, we’re collecting everyone’s comments on this and passing them along to the rest of our team.
You can learn more about our ads, get instructions for managing your interests, and even find out how to opt out of interest-based ads in our help docs:
https://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/relevantads
Thanks again for your feedback.
Dave S Tumblr Platform Support”

                                     *
Due to neurological disability, I am very sensitive to stimuli. I can just about cope with video in my feed, but additional moving adverts is sensory overload for me. This leads to sharp & acute eye-pain and head-aches. Therefore, it is with great regret that I must leave tumblr.

Thank you to all those who have kindly shared their Art, their lives, their fears & fantasies. Thank you to to those who chose to follow my blog. Most of all thank you to the folk who chatted with me, flirted with me &/or discussed their Art with me. Truly appreciated.

Anyone who wishes to can follow me on:

facebook - colin-roy hunter criquaer
twitter - @criquaer
google+ - colin-roy hunter
linkedIN - colin-roy hunter
personal blog - http://crippledqueeranglo-europeanranter.blogspot.co.uk/

If matters do ameliorate, I should very much appreciate someone apprising me……
%D

No comments:

Post a Comment