Tuesday 13 October 2015

'Flu jabs & Myalgic Encephalomyelitis



[Note for those in USA, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis or M.E. is usually known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or C.F.S. in the United States.]


*

Yesterday, Action for M.E. posted on the subject of "Flu jab advice for people with M.E." The pharmacist is recommending sufferers have the jabs, but admits that there is "limited research available".

I posted in a discussion on whether to have an influenza vaccination. Herewith my contribution:

I have been advised not to have inoculations nor vaccinations, as I seem to re-act to everything. Antibiotics even are an extreme last resort for me, as I end up ill from taking them.

I possibly developed M.E. due to a routine tetanus vaccination which I did not need. Due to my very high risk of developing arthritis, I should not even have been forced to have it (a condition of the G.P. [family doctor] accepting me on his books). Not long after that, his surgery [medical practise] stopped routine jabs unless actually required medically.

Big Pharma (the pharmaceutical industry) knows that we are all different and re-act differently to medications. Whilst statistically vaccinations are "safe" for the population as a whole, there will always be sub-groups for which they, and indeed any medication, will either not work or make matters worse. My advice is to always research any new medication or treatment and seek out advice.

Also, doctors do not always know best. Years ago, a psychiatrist prescribed a drug which caused me absolute extreme testicular agony. He pooh-poohed me before looking up the medication, blushing deeply and then admitting that it was a known rare side-effect.

And what was the outcome of the discussion? Well, some folk are pro and some contra; some have had good experiences, some bad. Anecdotally this supports the assertion that we are all different physiologically.

[Image description: screen-shot of NHS information webpage on The flu jab, ©]


*


DISCLAIMER: I am NOT medically trained. If in doubt or worried, seek out professional medical advice!



No comments:

Post a Comment